PALSUN® Flat Solid Polycarbonate Sheet
Widest range of flat polycarbonate roof panels, glazing, and sign & display solutions
For more than 35 years, Palram has steadily expanded its portfolio of PALSUN polycarbonate products for a variety of markets. It's often used in place of glass since it's 200 times stronger, yet half the weight. PALSUN offers extraordinary impact resistance, durability, and available tints that range from clear to shaded–with or without diffusion. Palram also offers technically advanced SolarSmart™ tints with selective solar control technology. Millions of square feet of our general purpose and co-extruded UV protected sheets are installed around the globe on applications that often surpass imagination.
PALSUN’s impact strength, easy fabrication, and excellent ink adhesion also make it an ideal solution for digital printing, displays, thermoformed signs, and backlit and illuminated signage.
- 200 times stronger than glass, less than half the weight; stronger and lighter than aluminum
- Ideal for use as safety glazing or vandalism protection
- Available with 1 or 2 sided co-extruded UV protection for improved durability
- Available in clear, with up to 90% light transmission; tinted, colored, or embossed for a variety of light transmission & light diffusion options
- Withstands nature’s most extreme hot and cold climates
- Provides good thermal insulation, considerably better than glass or aluminum
- Resists various chemicals and other substances
- Easy to mount, work with, and install
- Excellent ink adhesion and print quality
- Flexible, formable, machinable; hot/cold bend or thermoform it into an unlimited range of shapes
PRODUCT SELECTION BASICS
• Interior Safety Glazing & Machine Guards
• Exterior Flat & Thermoformed Sign Faces
• Windshields for Golf Carts & Low-speed Vehicles
Frequently Asked Questions
All Palram polycarbonate products can be cold bent onsite during installation, subject to a minimum radius. The radius varies based on the chosen product. For flat sheets such as PALSUN & SUNLITE, the rule-of-thumb for the minimum radius is the thickness multiplied by 200. Please check the Palram catalog for more detailed specifications.
The recommended thickness of the polycarbonate glazing material is based on factors such as wind & snow load, panel size, and boundary conditions. Visit the Palram website for access to calculators that can help you determine the recommended thickness.
In order to reduce heat build-up through the façade, Palram strongly recommends the use of its tinted SolarSmart™ panels. SolarSmart™ tints can be implemented in all Palram polycarbonate products. For more information, reference the Palram SolarSmart™ technology page.
Flat solid or multiwall sheets can be glazed in double skin applications using standard aluminum curtain wall profiles and EPDM gaskets. The SUNPAL system can be installed in a double skin application with a special aluminum profile provided by Palram.
PALSUN can be installed with standard curtain wall aluminum glazing profiles and EPDM gaskets (similar to glass), or spider fixing spaced with approximately 400 mm centers. However, it cannot be used with structural silicone and PALGARD (PALSUN) with anti-scratch coating is the recommended substitute in this case.
This depends on the production date and storage conditions of the product before thermoforming. It is recommended to check the product before thermoforming is attempted.
Most of Palram's products that are delivered with PE film covering are suitable for thermoforming. In general, we recommend using clear PE and not printed PE.
The minimum allowed bending radius of the polycarbonate is 200 times the thickness of the sheet, for example, a 2 mm sheet has a minimum 400 mm bending radius.
Flat solid or multiwall polycarbonate sheets need to be installed with designated aluminum profiles when used as a skylight.
Palram offers various LT% parameters - from 0% to 90%. In addition, we offer a color called a “diffuser” that allows 85% of the light in while diffusing it by 100%. The result is a light-transmitting panel that is not transparent but is highly translucent.
Polycarbonate sheets block UV radiation by absorbing it. This absorption mechanism can cause degradation to the material, and to prevent this from happening, the sheet is coated with a special material.
For this reason, it is recommended that the sheets are installed with the marked UV protective layer facing outward. Moreover, most of the sheets are only protected on the side that is clearly marked as such.
Palram created specific loading tables for each product. Please visit our website and download the specific catalog.
- Never use abrasive or high alkaline cleaners on any Palram polycarbonate products.
- Do not leave cleaners on Palram polycarbonate for extended periods of time. Rinse immediately with cold, clean water.
- Do not apply cleaners in direct sunlight.
- Never use sharp objects, squeegees or razors on polycarbonate.
- Do not clean with gasoline.
- Always practice safety first and never step directly on a polycarbonate panel.
- Always test cleaners in a small inconspicuous area prior to cleaning the entire panel to ensure against adverse results.
- Avoid allowing the pressure washer spray tip to come too close to the panel. Pressure washers often have enough pressure at the spray tip to penetrate or tear the panel.
- Avoid dry cleaning as sand and dust particles clinging to the exterior of the panels may scratch the surface.
Shading coefficient (SC) is a parameter that compares transparent and translucent materials with clear 3 mm glass with 87% LT ׂ(light transmission). The lower the value, the more convenient it is to stay under the material on warm, sunny days. In architectural projects, the SC should usually be between 0.3 to 0.5.
Multiwall polycarbonate should be used when the key design parameter is thermal insulation. Solid polycarbonate should be used when the key design parameter is acoustic insulation and glass-like appearance.
Multiwall is a multi-cell structured sheet. Due to its multi-cell structure, it has superior thermal insulation and low area weight.
A matte surface finish is good if you want to avoid glare within your surroundings.
This decision depends on the application – some of the colors are transparent and some are translucent. If a see-through material is needed, then haze should be smaller than 1% and the LT% should be based on the illumination design. If a translucent effect is needed, then the haze should be 100% and the LT% based on the chosen color.
Yes, but with minor reinforcements to the structure in order to support the load.
PALRAM's polycarbonate products are shielded with a UV protection layer that guards against photodegradation, yellowing, and brittleness. This protects the sheets from the harmful impact of UV radiation and helps to maintain light transmittance and quality for many years. Our products come with a 10-year warranty against loss of light transmittance. Upon special request, we can provide an enforced UV protection layer with a longer warranty.
For use in illuminated signage, PALSUN, PALSUN CS (Coil Stock) and PALGLAS are suitable for the sign face; and PALBOARD, PALOPAQUE, and PALIGHT for the body of the letters or symbols. For print & display, Palram's entire product portfolio can be used based on the specific application. This choice depends on a combination of several parameters, including the cost of the media, its durability, and its suitability for the specific application. Please visit Palram’s Flat sheet application catalog for more information.
Sign faces are usually made from polycarbonate or acrylic. For extreme conditions such as heavy hail, low temperatures, or high temperatures produced when thermo-forming, polycarbonate is probably more suitable. For sign boxes or channel letter cans, PVC, multi-layered PVC and foam PVC can be used.
The diffusion is not defined by the material, but by the diffusion additive that is part of the manufacturing formula. The materials should be selected by their fit to the application (e.g. polycarbonate for thermo-forming or extreme weather). Usually products marked with sign grade and/or diffusion grades have greater light diffusion than others.
A sign that is illuminated by an electrical light source (fluorescent\LED).