PALSUN® Flat Solid POLYCARBONATE SHEET
Widest range of clear flat polycarbonate roof panels, glazing and sign & display solutions
Flat solid polycarbonate sheets are an excellent alternative to glass for a wide range of applications as they are 200 times stronger and weigh less than half. Palram offers PALSUN flat polycarbonate sheets for these applications, and has already installed millions of square meters around the globe in projects that surpass the imagination. PALSUN solutions offer extraordinary impact resistance and durability, and are available in a range of tints from glass-like clarity to shaded—with or without diffusion. In addition, Palram also offers technically advanced SolarSmart™ tints with selective solar control technology. PALSUN polycarbonate sheets are one of many the products that Palram offers for these market segments.
Virtually unbreakable - 200 times stronger than glass and less than half the weight
- Ideal for sign faces, sound barriers, skylights, glazing & safety glazing
- Withstands blunt force pounding
- Protects people, plants, furniture and other objects from UV exposure
- Up to 90% light transmission
Shenzhen Universiade Stadium - Palram Projects Team
Palram supplied PALSUN flat solid polycarbonate glazing for the main stadium of the Shenzhen Universiade complex, along with engineering solutions and support. At the time of the project completion, the Shenzhen Universiade main stadium had the largest polycarbonate roof installation in the world.
SIGNS & DISPLAYS
Toughen Up your Signs & Displays.
PALTUF is great for interior or short-term outdoor applications such as front-lit or illuminated signs, or thermoformed or fabricated displays. PALSUN products are ideal for UV inkjet printing or applications with outdoor exposure. Clear or Light Box (LB) sheets are most popular for sign applications and LB works well for illuminated light boxes, including LED.
- Exceptional impact resistance compared to PETG, acrylic and other plastics
- Available with glass-like clarity and in a variety of tints (custom tints are available with a minimum order)
- Available with or without protective masking
- Very good ink-adhesion for printed applications
- Tested & approved by major digital printer OEMs such as HP, AGFA, EFI, Canon, Mutoh, and others
CONSTRUCTION & ARCHITECTURE
Discover Design Freedom
PALTUF is ideal for interior applications such as partitions and screens, while PALSUN products should be used for exterior applications. A wide variety of colors & tints with varying levels of clarity, light transmission, and diffusion are available, including advanced SolarSmart™ tints that offer selective blocking or absorption of specific wavelengths such as infrared radiation.
Cutting and cold-bending can be done onsite to make installation easy. Typical applications include skylights, glazing, curtain walls, façades and more.
- Lightweight - half the weight of glass
- Extremely strong - 200 times stronger than glass
- Withstands nature’s most extreme climates
- Easy to fabricate or curve onsite
- Available in glass-clear and a range of colors & tints, including SolarSmart™ tints for optimum solar control
- Available in an array of widths and lengths, including custom sizes with minimum order quantities
Workable in So Many Ways
PALTUF and PALSUN can be used for a multitude of fabrication applications. They can be cut, routed, drilled, formed, bonded and more. From simple applications like face shields to more sophisticated applications like machine enclosures or parts, PALTUF and PALSUN products provide all of the performance characteristics of polycarbonate, plus consistent quality. PALSUN is also available in optical grades for coating blanks or applications requiring greater optical clarity. For superior abrasion, forced entry, or bullet resistance, consider PALGARD or PALSHIELD.
- Extremely strong and impact resistant
- Can be cold or hot bent, and thermoformed
- Available clear and in a range of colors
- Available in a wide range of widths and lengths, including custom sizes with minimum order quantities
- Low flammability
- Specialty Sheet Series available for optical grade specifications and other performance requirements
Just Right for Some Vehicles
Many vehicular applications like ATVs, boats and golf carts are not governed by rigid code standards. They just need a high impact windscreen or window with a high degree of clarity. PALSUN products are ideal for these types of applications.
If you need more advanced abrasion and scratch resistance for more demanding transportation applications, consider PALGARD abrasion-resistant sheets. For railcar-specific glazing applications, consider PALGARD TG transportation-grade sheets.
- Standard products include clear or bronze tint
- Lightweight & easy to fabricate
- Can be cold or hot bent, and thermoformed
- Available with 1 or 2 sided UV protection
SAFETY & SECURITY
Protection is in its DNA
Polycarbonate is the most impact-resistant transparent material available. PALTUF and PALSUN products offer performance that will satisfy a variety of safety and security applications, such as shields, partitions, machine guards, and more.
In the case of more demanding safety and security applications, if you're looking for advanced abrasion resistance, consider PALGARD abrasion-resistant sheets. For containment or ballistic applications, consider PALSHIELD containment and ballistic solutions.
- Offers more impact resistance than any other transparent product
- Lightweight & easy to fabricate
- Can be cold or hot bent, and thermoformed
- Offers very good ink adhesion for printing
- Various sizes, thicknesses and colors available
Frequently Asked Questions
All Palram polycarbonate products can be cold bent onsite during installation, subject to a minimum radius. The radius varies based on the chosen product. For flat sheets such as PALSUN & SUNLITE, the rule-of-thumb for the minimum radius is the thickness multiplied by 200. Please check the Palram catalog for more detailed specifications.
The recommended thickness of the polycarbonate glazing material is based on factors such as wind & snow load, panel size, and boundary conditions. Visit the Palram website for access to calculators that can help you determine the recommended thickness.
In order to reduce heat build-up through the façade, Palram strongly recommends the use of its tinted SolarSmart™ panels. SolarSmart™ tints can be implemented in all Palram polycarbonate products. For more information, reference the Palram SolarSmart™ technology page.
Flat solid or multiwall sheets can be glazed in double skin applications using standard aluminum curtain wall profiles and EPDM gaskets. The SUNPAL system can be installed in a double skin application with a special aluminum profile provided by Palram.
PALSUN can be installed with standard curtain wall aluminum glazing profiles and EPDM gaskets (similar to glass), or spider fixing spaced with approximately 400 mm centers. However, it cannot be used with structural silicone and PALGARD (PALSUN) with anti-scratch coating is the recommended substitute in this case.
This depends on the production date and storage conditions of the product before thermoforming. It is recommended to check the product before thermoforming is attempted.
Most of Palram's products that are delivered with PE film covering are suitable for thermoforming. In general, we recommend using clear PE and not printed PE.
The minimum allowed bending radius of the polycarbonate is 200 times the thickness of the sheet, for example, a 2 mm sheet has a minimum 400 mm bending radius.
Flat solid or multiwall polycarbonate sheets need to be installed with designated aluminum profiles when used as a skylight.
Palram offers various LT% parameters - from 0% to 90%. In addition, we offer a color called a “diffuser” that allows 85% of the light in while diffusing it by 100%. The result is a light-transmitting panel that is not transparent but is highly translucent.
Polycarbonate sheets block UV radiation by absorbing it. This absorption mechanism can cause degradation to the material, and to prevent this from happening, the sheet is coated with a special material.
For this reason, it is recommended that the sheets are installed with the marked UV protective layer facing outward. Moreover, most of the sheets are only protected on the side that is clearly marked as such.
Palram created specific loading tables for each product. Please visit our website and download the specific catalog.
- Never use abrasive or high alkaline cleaners on any Palram polycarbonate products.
- Do not leave cleaners on Palram polycarbonate for extended periods of time. Rinse immediately with cold, clean water.
- Do not apply cleaners in direct sunlight.
- Never use sharp objects, squeegees or razors on polycarbonate.
- Do not clean with gasoline.
- Always practice safety first and never step directly on a polycarbonate panel.
- Always test cleaners in a small inconspicuous area prior to cleaning the entire panel to ensure against adverse results.
- Avoid allowing the pressure washer spray tip to come too close to the panel. Pressure washers often have enough pressure at the spray tip to penetrate or tear the panel.
- Avoid dry cleaning as sand and dust particles clinging to the exterior of the panels may scratch the surface.
Shading coefficient (SC) is a parameter that compares transparent and translucent materials with clear 3 mm glass with 87% LT ׂ(light transmission). The lower the value, the more convenient it is to stay under the material on warm, sunny days. In architectural projects, the SC should usually be between 0.3 to 0.5.
Multiwall polycarbonate should be used when the key design parameter is thermal insulation. Solid polycarbonate should be used when the key design parameter is acoustic insulation and glass-like appearance.
Multiwall is a multi-cell structured sheet. Due to its multi-cell structure, it has superior thermal insulation and low area weight.
A matte surface finish is good if you want to avoid glare within your surroundings.
This decision depends on the application – some of the colors are transparent and some are translucent. If a see-through material is needed, then haze should be smaller than 1% and the LT% should be based on the illumination design. If a translucent effect is needed, then the haze should be 100% and the LT% based on the chosen color.
Yes, but with minor reinforcements to the structure in order to support the load.
PALRAM's polycarbonate products are shielded with a UV protection layer that guards against photodegradation, yellowing, and brittleness. This protects the sheets from the harmful impact of UV radiation and helps to maintain light transmittance and quality for many years. Our products come with a 10-year warranty against loss of light transmittance. Upon special request, we can provide an enforced UV protection layer with a longer warranty.
For use in illuminated signage, PALSUN, PALSUN CS (Coil Stock) and PALGLAS are suitable for the sign face; and PALBOARD, PALOPAQUE, and PALIGHT for the body of the letters or symbols. For print & display, Palram's entire product portfolio can be used based on the specific application. This choice depends on a combination of several parameters, including the cost of the media, its durability, and its suitability for the specific application. Please visit Palram’s Flat sheet application catalog for more information.
Sign faces are usually made from polycarbonate or acrylic. For extreme conditions such as heavy hail, low temperatures, or high temperatures produced when thermo-forming, polycarbonate is probably more suitable. For sign boxes or channel letter cans, PVC, multi-layered PVC and foam PVC can be used.
The diffusion is not defined by the material, but by the diffusion additive that is part of the manufacturing formula. The materials should be selected by their fit to the application (e.g. polycarbonate for thermo-forming or extreme weather). Usually products marked with sign grade and/or diffusion grades have greater light diffusion than others.
A sign that is illuminated by an electrical light source (fluorescent\LED).