Efficient daylighting with high light transmission and heat blocking ability
SolarSmart technology defies the standard transmission of solar energy in transparent sheets and allows for the specification of more versatile color and solar transmission per project. Unlike regular tints, SolarSmart panels admit more natural daylight while reflecting outwards infrared radiation that creates heat. This characteristic breaks the traditional link between shading coefficient and light transmission to allow for more flexible specifications for natural light in architectural design.
SolarSmart technology enables the more efficient use of natural lighting without compromising interior comfort. More natural light within a building's interior results in energy savings and contributes to a healthier and more productive environment.
- Promotes energy efficiency and well-being
- Better use of natural lighting without compromising interior comfort
- Can be used to customize specific solar transmission properties
- Reduces greenhouse effect
- Applicable to all Palram transparent polycarbonate products
- Architectural roofing and glazing
- Sports venues
- Shopping centers and food courts
- Covered walkways and canopies
- Swimming pool covers
- Pergola and deck covers
|250nm - 400nm||400nm - 750nm||750nm - 1,450nm|
|Ultra-Violet Harmful to living tissue and may cause skin cancer. All Palram polycarbonate products block 99.9% of UV radiation.||Visible Light Visible light enables eyesight, whereas natural daylight also promotes well-being. Palram offers the tailoring of specific light transmission and diffusion for any given project.||Near-Infrared Converts to heat when absorbed by objects, resulting in heat buildup. SolarSmart products block a portion of the infrared radiation and transmit “cool light”, thus improving well being while reducing AC costs.|
SOLARSMART EFFICIENCY COMPARISON
The graph on the left depicts the efficiency of SolarSmart products in comparison with clear and standard colored sheets. The graph shows how SolarSmart tints enable a higher light transmission while maintaining or decreasing shading coefficient values.
Three Grades of SolarSmart Technology
Standard colors: Solar Control, Solar Olympic
Appearance: Hazy Metallic
Near-Infrared Selectivity*: 1.03
*Data for PALSUN 3mm Solar Control 35%LT
Near-Infrared Selectivity = The ratio of transmitted natural daylight and infrared energy, which represents the efficiency of SolarSmart in transmitting “cool light”
- Solar Control sheets block heat better than white opal and clear sheets, which tend to develop heat buildup. These products will not have high clarity but will be very effective when applied with low light transmission in large skylights.
Standard colors: Smart Green, Smart Blue
Appearance: Clarity and Low Haze
Near-Infrared Selectivity*: 3.34
*Data for PALSUN 2mm Smart Green 60%LT
- SMART products offer high light transmissions with a moderate shading coefficient. Their improved transparency and near-infrared selectivity allow a relatively clear view to the outdoors while significantly reducing solar heat gain.
Standard colors: Bluish Breeze
Appearance: Light Bluish with Ultra-High Clarity
Near-Infrared Selectivity*: 5.51
*for PALSUN 3mm Breeze (Colorless) 70%LT
- BREEZE products offer unsurpassed energy efficiency and transparency. Their glass-like clarity can be used to provide high lighting with the clearest view.